The purpose of the World Open Water Swimming Association is to support and promote the sport of open water swimming in a safe and responsible manner on a global basis where the athletes’ needs and desires have the highest priority.
The World Open Water Swimming Association sanctions, recognizes and supports open water swimming events, races, clinics, seminars, camps, and training tours, as well as solo swims and relays that fall outside the reach of traditional governing bodies and organizations.
Event organizers and race directors who wish to receive a sanction from the World Open Water Swimming Association must follow the WOWSA Rules & Regulations.
Cost of Sanctions
A WOWSA sanction for a world championship event is US$350, exclusive of liability insurance.
A WOWSA sanction for a non-world championship event is US$250 exclusive of liability insurance.
Requirement of Sanctions
WOWSA recommends that all participants in a non-championship WOWSA-sanctioned event be WOWSA members. It is the requirement of the race director to offer each participant the opportunity to become a WOWSA member.
Participants and officials in WOWSA World Championship events do not need to be WOWSA members. The race director is eligible for a free WOWSA membership upon his/her race becoming a WOWSA-sanctioned event.
Benefits of Sanctions
The benefits of joining the World Open Water Swimming Association for race directors include the following:
- The official WOWSA logo to put on event website
- If requested, event insurance to protect the participants, sponsors and race organization staff in the event of accident, injury of death to competitors, volunteers and staff. (US events only)
- Pre- and post-race articles to generate more attention to the race in both Swimming World Magazine and the Daily News of Open Water swimming.
- Discounted ad space in the Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Inclusion of the event in the Global Race Calendar.
- Input of the names of all participants in Openwaterpedia with links to your race (subject to receiving the official race results via email).
- 10% commission on Certificates of Accomplishment, which are offered to swimmers in your event. This is an official WOWSA certification of their accomplishment.
- Discounted cost of Race Roster registration program. (USA Only) For more info click here.
- Free individual WOWSA membership for the Race Director.
There is a requirement that entrants be given the opportunity to become members of WOWSA via email.